Welcome to Toronto Area Boardgaming Society!

T.A.B.S. Online :: View topic - TABSCon New Location
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

TABSCon New Location
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Pete
Site Marshal
Site Marshal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:11 pm Post subject: TABSCon New Location Reply with quote

After two successful years at the Agricola church, TABS is pleased to announce that we’re moving our TABSCon events starting in 2013 to a new venue (that has nothing to do with tilling the land and sowing the fields)…

The Royal Canadian Legion Hall on Dawes Road (Branch #11)

This wonderful new location has a larger hall to accommodate our steady growth, but also includes a number of great features to better serve our attendees. In selecting this venue, we kept in mind that transportation was a key factor and as you can see from this map, we believe we’ve been quite successful in that regard. The Legion Hall is just five minutes walk east from both the Main St. subway station and the Danforth GO station. In addition to the forty or so spots in their parking lot, the Legion has also gotten permission from the Canadian Tire next door to use its parking lot – these locations are highlighted in yellow.

The TABSCon event itself will be located on the main floor hall, so no more STEPS! We’ll have space to provide room for our regular features (i.e. vendor, bring and buy auction, etc.), but in addition the Legion Hall has the following:
• Kitchen staffed by the Ladies’ Auxiliary to provide various lunch options
• Alcoholic beverages available in the downstairs club house

I should be very clear about the last point – Alcohol can only be consumed in the club house and cannot be brought upstairs. Please drink responsibly. The Legion reserves the right to deny any patron service at the bar.

We'll see you at the Legion!

Pete

Last edited by Pete on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
ducimus
TSC Member
TSC Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

A fifteen minute walk from my house and licensed. Well done sir.
lcutner
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:08 pm Post subject: Location Reply with quote

Oh dear! It's not the best location for me unfortunately. Traveling almost downtown from the Oshawa area is just not viable for me. Also, it appears that there is no disabled access. Well, it's been a few good years at Tabs for me.
mars-1
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. And only a 7 minute drive from my house. Razz

In addition to nearby TTC access and plentiful parking, there's also a good selection of fast food choices within walking distance.

One drawback, as Lawrence has mentioned, is the distance from a major highway (404 or 401). Maybe a 15 minute drive from the 404 Don Mills exit.

MM

Last edited by mars-1 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete
Site Marshal
Site Marshal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

mars-1 wrote:
Maybe a 15 minute drive from the 404 Don Mills exit.

Mark is right, Laurence. I'm fairly close to the 401 and DVP. I take the latter south to the Don Mills (south) exit. From there I go east on O'Connor, south on Coxwell and then east again on the Danforth. It takes 15-20 mins and early on a Saturday morning it should be pretty quick. It's not really downtown after all.
Triad1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating. I'm looking forward to this adventure; it's a slightly longer drive, but awesome amenities I think. This could be quite a winner. I guess we'll have to wait and see. It seems well thought through though.
DaveyJJ
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:08 am Post subject: Re: Location Reply with quote

lcutner wrote:
Oh dear! It's not the best location for me unfortunately. Traveling almost downtown from the Oshawa area is just not viable for me. Also, it appears that there is no disabled access. Well, it's been a few good years at Tabs for me.

No disabled access at a Legion Hall? Really? I'll take you word for it but that's hard to believe ... every Legion Hall out here in the KW area has made extensive accommodations and access available for the disabled (vets) who attend functions. I'll be in that area in about a month and have a good look around the building for you, Laurence, if you like.
Jotora
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:22 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall it sounds like a great move to me.
Leonithic
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:40 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Much closer to me, so I'm happy.
Tatoolo
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:54 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm feeling slight indifference. It's not much further nor closer for me, but it looks like a bit longer of a hike from the subway station (presumably with bags full of games in tow!). I look forward to seeing the new place!
SaraCV
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:03 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete for doing all the searching required to find an adequate venue AGAIN! Looks like you did a great job keeping it accessible for most people which I know is incredibly hard with such a diverse group.

And trading on-site prayer meetings for on-site booze consumption has to be an improvement, no?? I look forward to checking it out.
Pete
Site Marshal
Site Marshal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:45 am Post subject: Re: Location Reply with quote

DaveyJJ wrote:
No disabled access at a Legion Hall? Really? I'll take you word for it but that's hard to believe ...

Unfortunately, Laurence is correct. While it is unusual for a Legion Hall these days not to be handicap accessible, the hall itself is on the main floor level so aside from a few small steps at the front entrance, that's the only impediment. The closest parking spots to the door are handicap spots and we'll be happy to assist you, Laurence, when you arrive.
rwrad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:17 am Post subject: Reply with quote

ducimus wrote:
A fifteen minute walk from my house and licensed. Well done sir.

Only a ten minute walk for me. This is great news!
Genghis
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:19 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Excited about the building. Not overly excited about the location, but whatever. I'll just leave 15-20 minutes earlier.
lcutner
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:23 pm Post subject: Location Reply with quote

I hope no one thinks I am complaining or whinging about the location. Pete et. al. have to consider the needs of the majority and having a location near public transit is a great idea. After all, it is the TORONTO area that is catered to. I just was happy with locations just off the 401 in terms of access for out of city visitors. Unfortunately, for me, the added travel from the east is hard to justify, especially when I rely on others to drive. The lack of disabled access is indeed a pain (Castlecon anyone?) and is hard for the able-bodied to sometimes appreciate

I will just have to see how things go in terms of my attendance for future Tabscon events.
Post new topicReply to topic T.A.B.S. Online Forum Index -> TABS Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: