Welcome to Toronto Area Boardgaming Society!

T.A.B.S. Online :: View topic - Bring and Buy Auction at TABSCon
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Bring and Buy Auction at TABSCon
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Pete
Site Marshal
Site Marshal

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:23 am Post subject: Bring and Buy Auction at TABSCon Reply with quote

We're excited to announce that starting with the June 2011 TABSCon, we'll be providing space for a new feature at these quarterly events, namely the Bring and Buy Auction. Unlike our auctions of the past, which some have stated were disruptive due to the necessity of having to call out the prizes, the Bring and Buy auction by contrast is essentially silent and more suited to our current needs.

How does it work? You have to complete a BRING & BUY Auction Seller Registration Sheet that lists all of your items. Next, complete an Auction Store Item Sheet (download in Word) for each of your items. Tape the BRING & BUY Item Sheet to items using Painters tape (available at BRING & BUY registration in the Main Hall to avoid damaging them.

** Please note that it is the Seller's responsibility to ensure that the description and condition of the items are listed accurately on the item sheet and any open games that he/she wishes to sell are properly secured so that all game components don't fall out of the boxes during the Bring & Buy. TABS assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of descriptions on the item sheets or the completeness of any games submitted to the Bring & Buy**

Items to be submitted are board games and board game related materials. We do not accept magazines, RPG, CCG, PC/ Console games or game related materials. If there is a question regarding the eligibility of an item to be entered into the Bring & Buy, the final decision will rest with the Bring & Buy Administrator who is located at the check-out desk. The Bring & Buy does accept a bundle or grouping of items being sold as a single unit, but remember to secure the items properly, as noted above, so that they do not become separated while the Bring & Buy is running. Identify completely all the components, that make up the lot, on the item sheet so prospective buyers can see what the lot consists of without having to tear it apart to find out.

Set the prices you want for each time slot listed on the item sheet, but all prices must be in a whole dollar amount (ie: $10 or $12, NOT $10.50). Item sheets have three different slots; 11am, 1pm & 3pm. All Sellers are required to fill in whatever prices they wish to sell their games at for each slot on the item sheet, prior to the start of the Bring & Buy. Example; 11am: $30 1pm: $25 3pm: $20 Note that prices for each slot can be set at whatever the Seller wants, either up or down or unchanged, but once the Bring & Buy begins, Sellers are no longer permitted to change the prices of their submissions.

Each Seller will be permitted to enter 20 items maximum. We will only accept items from 9am to 10:45am. Simply drop your items off with the item sheets attached, and then pick up your unsold items approximately 1 hour after the Bring & Buy closes. Item sheets and Seller sheets can both be downloaded at www.tabsonline.net and we highly recommend you fill out the sheets and affix your item sheets to your games prior to submitting them to the Bring & Buy. By doing so, this will significantly speed up the processing of your submissions. A Seller # will be assigned to you once you've provided your completed Seller sheet. Your assigned Seller # is to be on both your Seller sheet and all of your item sheets so the sales of your games can be tracked accurately.

The Bring & Buy hours are from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Time changes for the new prices will be announced just prior to 1 pm and 3 pm respectively. Once a new time slot is announced, the previous slot's prices are no longer valid. Example, once the 1pm slot has been announced, the 11am prices are no longer available.

Buyers are welcome to enter the Bring & Buy prior to its start, to see the items available. This is a First in Line/First Pick process. At 10:55am, all Buyers & Sellers will be asked to leave the Bring & Buy area. Buyers are directed to stand in line and will be allowed into the Bring & Buy once it is declared open. If you wish to purchase an item, simply pick it up and bring it to the check-out area. Although the Bring & Buy area is an open space, Buyers ARE NOT to take items from the perimeter of the area, but instead must go through the Bring & Buy entrance before selecting the item they wish to buy. Approximately 5 minutes before each of the next time slots begin, all Sellers & Buyers will be again asked to leave the Bring & Buy area and proceed to the lineup if they wish to make a purchase at the upcoming time slot.

The Bring & Buy is Cash Only we are unable to accept credit/debit cards, cheques or other methods of electronic fund transfers. Seller proceeds will be available approximately 1 hour after the closing of the Bring & Buy. Sellers are required to sign off on their Seller sheets acknowledging the receipt of their proceeds from the sale of their items, the TABS commission assessed on each sale and any unsold submissions. Items not picked up by 5:30pm on the Saturday of the Bring & Buy will become property of TABS.

We strongly encourage you to double check your Bring & Buy purchases PRIOR to leaving TABSCon. Once TABScon has ended, it is understood that both the Seller & Buyer have accepted the transaction between themselves and/or TABS and have no further recourse should a problem arise. We can assist, where resources permit, if there is a problem with a purchase but TABS is unable guarantee that it can successfully resolve a problem for either the Buyer or Seller once TABSCon has ended.

What is the TABS commission? Each item or lot which sells will have a commission against that sale. The Bring & Buy commission paid to TABS is $1.00 or 10 % of the selling price (whichever is greater). The total commission per Seller will be deducted from the final amount payable to that Seller at the end of the Bring & Buy.

**Important** Please note that to help you save time, these Seller sheets are available for download on this site. You can find the file in the Downloads --> Miscellaneous section.

Q&A
Q: In the past, I've just brought my games for sale to TABSCon, set them up on my table and sold them that way. Am I still going to be able to do that?
A: Yes

Q: Why would I want to put my games up for sale at the auction (and incur the fee) when I can just sell them at no cost at my table?
A: Well, there are a few reasons why you might want to consider the auction instead. First off is visibility. The auction tables will be in the main entry area which everyone will be walking by throughout the day. An auction with a good number of items for sale will typically attract a lot of potential buyers, as opposed to a few games laid out on a table at the back of the hall somewhere. Obviously, there will be TABS staff on hand to manage the auction items, keep them safe and track their sale thereby unburdening you of that responsibility. Lastly, we would ask that you consider that the fee goes back into the TABS organization and helps to cover our costs. If you value the services that we provide then hopefully you consider this fee to be a worthwhile expense.

Q: If I just want to show up to check out the auction, do I still have to pay the $5 entry fee for TABSCon?
A: Yes.

Q: How many items can I put up for auction?
A: Each attendee is limited to a maximum of twenty items or lots to list for auction.

Q. What items can be sold at the auction?
A: Any boardgame or boardgame related item. Related items would include CCGs, miniatures and terrain pieces. Put it this way - Games or items that you would see being played at TABSCon can be included in the auction.

Last edited by Pete on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:10 am; edited 7 times in total
Tatoolo
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having pre set times for price drops will cause a lot of congestion and disruption; I will anticipate playing a game and at 1 pm have an opponent say that he has to go try to grab an item before anyone else. I would rather allow the seller to drop the price at his discretion, when he or she has a free
moment. Then people won't know when the price will drop and can go check during their free times as well.

Though I am sure you guys have put a lot of thought into the implementation; I figured I'd just give my two cents. Smile
Pete
Site Marshal
Site Marshal

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:56 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatoolo wrote:
I think having pre set times for price drops will cause a lot of congestion and disruption; I will anticipate playing a game and at 1 pm have an opponent say that he has to go try to grab an item before anyone else. I would rather allow the seller to drop the price at his discretion, when he or she has a free
moment. Then people won't know when the price will drop and can go check during their free times as well.

So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying it would be potentially less disruptive to have no set times listed for a price drop instead of the set ones at 1pm and 3pm - rather the seller could at any time just wander back to their games items and mark down their games. Wouldn't this force folks to get particularly paranoid about a sudden price change on the game(s) they've been eyeing? Some seller gets up to answer the call of nature and five others mistakenly jump up to trail after him to see if he's heading over to mark down his games. I'm just theorizing here...
mars-1
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

Is the auction restricted to games only?

Would gaming related accessories or genre items (sci-fi, horror, fantasy, military history, anime, ect.) be ok as well?

i.e. DVDs, graphic novels, sci-fi/fantasy books, action figures, video games and so on.

MM
Pete
Site Marshal
Site Marshal

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

mars-1 wrote:
Hi Pete,

Is the auction restricted to games only?

Hey Mark,

Yes, boardgames and boardgame related items. See my updated Q&A post above.

Pete
dcorban
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatoolo wrote:

In practice at NBW, this has not been a problem. The actual transaction takes about 20 seconds. Also, knowing when a potential interruption would happen is far more preferable to someone constantly checking the table to see if any price drops have occurred.
mightygodking
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:

I note the definition has been extended to include minis. RPG items?
Pete
Site Marshal
Site Marshal

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

mightygodking wrote:
Pete wrote:

I note the definition has been extended to include minis. RPG items?

RPG-ish boardgames (e.g. Runebound, Descent, etc.) would of course be fine, but not RPG material like books, modules, and so on. Again, the scope of auctionable items is based on what would be played at a TABSCon.
Pete
Site Marshal
Site Marshal

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks,

As this is our first time doing this, it would be helpful to have some rough idea of how many tables we'll need to set aside to handle the items being auctioned. Do me a favour, if you are planning to sell some stuff and you know the general size and quantity then post it here (e.g. small lot of minis, 3 large boardgames, etc.).

Thanks,

Pete
dcorban
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:49 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have four regular size boardgames to display.
wise
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea Pete.

I'll certainly find a few wargames to bring. Not sure what, but I'll find a few.

Steve
lcutner
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:04 pm Post subject: Games Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

I should be bringing 4-5 boxed games and some magazines.
mightygodking
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be bringing 5-6 things.
coffeedream
TSC Member
TSC Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

10 items from me thanks!
litebrite
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

I will have 2-3 boxed games and two ATO magazine games.

Lembit Very Happy
Post new topicReply to topic T.A.B.S. Online Forum Index -> TABS Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: