Welcome to Toronto Area Boardgaming Society!

T.A.B.S. Online :: View topic - Suggestion Box: TABSCon
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Suggestion Box: TABSCon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hatchling
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:49 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea is to number the tables and have people book tables on a big laminated schedule board that can be taped or hung on one of the walls. You can have people book tables by writing the game, max # players, duration etc on the board. That way people will know at a glance what games are being played where, and whether there are any openings.
stevehutton
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:19 am Post subject: Reply with quote

The current system (wandering around a not-all-that-big room and asking the people who aren't playing anything what they want to play) seems to work pretty well.
Kozure
TSC Member
TSC Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:10 am Post subject: Reply with quote

stevehutton wrote:
The current system (wandering around a not-all-that-big room and asking the people who aren't playing anything what they want to play) seems to work pretty well.

I respectfully disagree. However, I put these ideas forward only as suggestions and I am in no way clamouring for changes which people would feel are onerous.

My intent is:
  1. Helping people without a game to find a game faster (without the wandering)
  2. Helping people who have a game but need players fill their seats faster (without needing to shout or hold up boxes)
  3. Having a system which is easily recognized and seen.
  4. Making it more accessible for first time players or newcomers to TABS to join a game without feeling like they're intruding.
I think so many of the regular TABS attendees are so familiar with each other by now that it's hard to understand for some people how intimidating it can be for an 'outsider' to walk up to a bunch of strangers (especially strangers who seem so familiar with each other) and say, "may I join you?"
Bostich
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I think holding up the box lid works and has several benefits:

1) You know what you're going to be playing from a distance

2) It requires no special hardware, no additional cost and no transportation ( tmk the TABS committee already have cars overstuffed)

3) It doesn't require any additional signage (" Look for one of these etc.. ")

4) It is a proven convention (BGG / Origins) method of getting players in a crowded room without scheduling

j.,
DoomDahDoomDoom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I'm with Steve and John. I actually jumped in on a game of Age of Steam at the December con when I saw somebody holding the game up waving it around so that definitely works. But usually just asking around to get a game going is what I find happens.

I think if you want to bring a flag or balloon or whatever to the next con, that's great - I don't know if it'll catch on or not, but I say go for it.
timwkbrown
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I too don't think there's much of a problem...yet.

Once our numbers get over 200 it would probably become a problem as our venue would have to be larger and finding open games would be harder.

But for now I'd say holding up the game would probably work well as you can see pretty clearly from one end of the room to the other when a game has ended.

Tim
Dave B
Site Marshal
Site Marshal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I've posted a solution to the problem in the December TABSCon thread.

Please check it out and regards,
DB
sharky6000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been to my first TABSCon last weekend.. I have to say it was awesome. Many, many gamers... a lot of games. Everyone's patient when teaching.

But.. I can relate to Kozure's claims.. and I agree with pretty much everything he/she said. I think TABSCon would benefit from a system to match-up gamers and a way to communicate our gaming preferences. I felt it was hard to approach people if you didn't already know them.. and often there were a lot of people not playing games and it was hard to tell if they wanted to or not, and if they did, which games they wanted to play. I attended TABSCon partly to mingle with the Toronto gaming community, and would have had an easier time doing that if games were listed that I can just join.

I really like the easel (or a whiteboard, or bulletin board, or whatever) idea for announcing/proposing games. As long as the open game list is central. Maybe accompanied by table numbers for finding said games? IMHO, it works better than flags because then all the proposed games are in one place (easier to find).. no having to set them up if nobody signs up. And, you can list preferences, such as how many players are needed, if the game is newbie-friendly, etc. which you can't do with a flag.
dcorban
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

BGGcon basically had a "stand around with a sign" method of getting gamers to your table and it rarely worked.

Conversely, the TABScon and NBW method of walking up to people and saying "hey are you playing a game right now" seems to work fine for me. The first year I went to NBW and knew literally one person there ended up being one of the most concentrated weekend of gaming in my life.
Dave B
Site Marshal
Site Marshal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc,
TABSCon is primarily an "Open Gaming" event where a lot of pick up games happen rather than a listing of scheduled games with experience ratings.

If you're keen to play something at a future TABSCon rather than hoping to find games that suit your tastes/interests, I would suggest that you post what you'd like to play in the appropriate June TABSCon thread which can generate interest, or not, from other members that will help you get into the games you want to play. As you may have seen in the previous TABSCon thread, some folks will ask Pete to set up their game on the schedule that other players can access and sign up for, essentially giving you a list of games that are being run.

So, what you are looking for, a listing of games for you to play at TABSCon, is already active. However, recognize that most of the members seem to like the open gaming concept so the use of the whiteboards will probably be the best way for you to see what's available. After that, step up and don't be shy in asking to join in on the fun. Very Happy

Best regards,
DB
sharky6000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's some confusion. I should have been more clear.. sorry. I'm not suggesting TABSCon change its format to a scheduled event from open gaming. I do know about the scheduled events for larger games, and that's great.

I'm reinforcing Kozure's first post in this thread, which (s)he said followed from a discussion with you (Dave). I think, for the pick-up games specifically, it would be great if there was a central white board (that anybody can write to) where players propose/announce pick-up games to be played. Any information about the game can go on this board, (as suggested in Kozure's first image.. it could be the expected playing time number of players, etc).. the starting time doesn't even need to be specified. When the game starts, the entry on the white board gets deleted. The idea is that the white board serves as a central "pick-up games list" and gets continually edited throughout the day.

So.. essentially, it wouldn't hinder any aspect of open gaming.. it would just facilitate communicating of preferences between gamers. Anyway, it is just a suggestion. If nobody would use it then it wouldn't be very useful Smile
Dave B
Site Marshal
Site Marshal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, understood. You may want to read further along the thread regarding the easel proposals and the like. Unfortunately, I dont think the TABS motor pool can fit anything else their vehicles so if anyone is able to transport an easel and paper, it may be a worthwhile effort to try this out.

Best to all,
DB
sharky6000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just a matter of transport I can fix that easily because I'll be driving each time.. and I'm planning on going to all the TABSCons from now on. If it's a matter of funding, I'd also be willing to help fix that if there was sufficient evidence that people would actually use it. Smile
Soro
T.A.B.S. Cadet
T.A.B.S. Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

You could stand the box lid up on its side on the table (and put the bottom of the box behind it to prop it up if it's a long, wide, flat box). Once you're set up with all the players, just put the empty box back onto the stack of boxes/floor where it came from.
kz
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

they should have a display projector on the wall that announces open games and what table # ahaha
Post new topicReply to topic T.A.B.S. Online Forum Index -> TABS Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: