Welcome to Toronto Area Boardgaming Society!

T.A.B.S. Online :: View topic - **Bring and Buy Auction Update - Please Read**
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

**Bring and Buy Auction Update - Please Read**

View previous topic :: View next topic
Pete
Site Marshal
Site Marshal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:45 pm Post subject: **Bring and Buy Auction Update - Please Read** Reply with quote

The Bring and Buy Auction has proven to be one of the most successful features of TABSCons since we first began offering them in 2011. With the auction, like many aspects of TABS events in general, we try to limit the amount of rules overhead as attendees over the years have proven themselves to be both supportive of what we're trying to accomplish and mindful of the sort of behavior that ensures a positive experience for all those who participate.

Unfortunately, we’ve recently started to experience serious issues with the auction where apparently some unsold games have gone missing and are unaccounted for. As such, the TSC have reviewed this matter carefully and starting with the December 2017 TABSCon, we’re going to put in place a new procedure for submitting titles in addition to paying for the games you want. Also, the overall layout for the auction space is being revised. Again, this is being done because we realize that the more relaxed format and layout of the past isn’t going to address the concerns we have for ensuring the overall safety and success of the auction going forward.

Auction Area Layout
The entrance/exit area is now located facing the kitchen-side wall, next to the stairs to the stage. Also, no bags will be permitted in the auction area.

Auction Item Submissions
When submitting your items for the auction, they must be given to a volunteer who will review your full list of games on the Seller Sheet to ensure that they match all the items being submitted. Once this list has been verified, the volunteers will also be responsible for finding space for your games on the tables.

Paying for Games and Cashing Out
The auction admin table will now be located on the stage overseeing the auction area. All traffic on and off the stage will be from the kitchen-side stairs only. Please lineup on the stage to pay for any auction items you want to buy.
mars-1
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

There's one more issue I'd like to bring up: incomplete or inaccurately described games.

As I understand the rules, once a buyer pays for a game, the onus is upon the buyer to contact the seller to resolve any issues.

Will there be any new developments to address this issue?

I realize it would be impractical and very time consuming to check each game for completeness/condition upon submission, but could an area be setup so that potential buyers can inspect used games under the watchful eye of a TAB Con volunteer before purchase?

Thanks,

Mark
Pete
Site Marshal
Site Marshal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

mars-1 wrote:
Hi Pete,

There's one more issue I'd like to bring up: incomplete or inaccurately described games.

As I understand the rules, once a buyer pays for a game, the onus is upon the buyer to contact the seller to resolve any issues.

Will there be any new developments to address this issue?

I realize it would be impractical and very time consuming to check each game for completeness/condition upon submission, but could an area be setup so that potential buyers can inspect used games under the watchful eye of a TAB Con volunteer before purchase?

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks for the feedback, Mark. We understand your frustration, but it's a relatively rare occurrence. As such, we have no current plans to add an inspection area, as it were, but you're welcome to look over a game in the usual manner. If it's a fairly quiet time, you could check with one of the admins at the desk and they could probably let you inspect it there.
mars-1
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
... As such, we have no current plans to add an inspection area, as it were, but you're welcome to look over a game in the usual manner. If it's a fairly quiet time, you could check with one of the admins at the desk and they could probably let you inspect it there.

That's what I've done in the past and it has saved me from a few purchases of what were incomplete games.

I appreciate that space is at a premium, my concern is people opening games right at the table or shelf, where the likelihood of pieces falling out and going missing could be high. But if they go with your suggestion above, the chance of this occurrence would be minimized.

Thanks.
Randougall

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:37 am Post subject: Reply with quote

mars-1 wrote:
Pete wrote:
... As such, we have no current plans to add an inspection area, as it were, but you're welcome to look over a game in the usual manner. If it's a fairly quiet time, you could check with one of the admins at the desk and they could probably let you inspect it there.

That's what I've done in the past and it has saved me from a few purchases of what were incomplete games.

I appreciate that space is at a premium, my concern is people opening games right at the table or shelf, where the likelihood of pieces falling out and going missing could be high. But if they go with your suggestion above, the chance of this occurrence would be minimized.

Thanks.

If I could add my 2 cents, I noticed a few games being put back on shelves on their sides, well, really lazily. So that pieces would easily fall out. I spent a few minutes picking up bits and putting them back securely in boxes.

I'm not sure how to get the word out, but geez, make sure you put the bits nicely back in the box. And if you're selling put stuff in baggies so tokens don't get scattered!
Alakhai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:28 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggies work but also just a bit of painters tape to keep the box closed for the troublesome ones that open really easily.
norseman1066
T.A.B.S. Veteran
T.A.B.S. Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:50 am Post subject: Downloading the forms for the Bring N Buy Reply with quote

Hello,

I was asked by 2 people on Saturday if the forms were available online and although I knew they were available I didn't know where they were. I have now found them and will pass on the info here for anyone looking......

1) go to the Downloads link above
2) click on Miscellaneous link
3) Click on TABSCon Bring and Buy Auction Forms

This contains 3 Docs:
A) The Guidelines
B) The Item Sheets
C) The Sellers List

Hope this helps anyone looking to join in the Next Bring N Buy in September.

Thor

Post new topicReply to topic T.A.B.S. Online Forum Index -> TABS Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: